Childbirth and Parenting Programs
Preparation for childbirth classes
Wollongong Private Hospital has committed to planning and providing a comprehensive childbirth and parenting program to prepare parents for the birth of their child. Our educators are all experienced registered midwives.
Our antenatal class program together with the Pregnancy and Birth Information booklet will inform you of the changes happening throughout pregnancy and the birth of your baby. We believe women should be educated about all available options during pregnancy, childbirth and early parenting (including the risks), so that you and your partner can make informed decisions on your journey to become a parent.
- How labour begins and when to go to hospital
- Stages of labour
- Active birth principles
- Pain relief options
- Unexpected outcomes
- Caesarean births
- The role of the support person
- Postnatal care, breastfeeding and support
- Tour of the birthing suite and post natal ward
When and where are classes held?
- Weekly classes
Monday and Tuesday evenings from 6:30pm – 8:30pm (4 consecutive weeks)
Supper and refreshments provided
- Weekend classes
Saturday from 9am - 2pm (2 consecutive weeks)
Lunch and refreshments provided
The classes are held in our Maternity Education Room on Level 2 of the Hospital.
How to book?
We recommend your classes are completed by the time you are 36 weeks pregnant and we encourage you to book in as soon as you have completed your admission paperwork, as classes fill up quickly and are limited to 8 couples per session. Classes can be booked by calling (02) 42861077 between 8:30- 5pm.
What is the cost?
The cost for the preparation for childbirth classes is $200.
Some health funds cover the total cost, others provide some or no rebate. You will be issued with a certificate of attendance by the Midwife on completion of the class to present to your health fund.
Please choose carefully as we are unable to offer make-up classes. Once payment has been made, refunds will only be given for medical reasons.
2017 Class Timetable
- 9th – 30th January
- 6th – 27th February
- 6th – 27th March
- 3rd, 10th and 24th April and 1st May (excluding Easter 17/4/17)
- 8th – 29th May
- 19th June – 10th July
- 17th July – 7th August
- 14th August – 4th September
- 18th, 25th September, 9th and 16th October (excluding Easter 17/4/17)
- 23rd October – 13th November
- 20th November – 11th December
- 10th – 31st January
- 7th – 28th February
- 7th – 28th March
- 11th, 18th April, 2nd and 9th May (excluding Anzac day 25/4/17)
- 16th May – 6th June
- 13th June – 4th July
- 11th July – 1st August
- 8th – 29th August
- 5th – 26th September
- 3rd – 24th October
- 31st October – 21st November
- 28th November – 19th December
- 14th and 21st January (excluding Australia Day 26/1/17)
- 4th and 11th February
- 18th and 25th February
- 4th and 11th March
- 18th and 25th March
- 1st and 8th April (excluding Easter 15/4/17)
- 22nd and 29th April
- 6th and 13th May
- 20th and 27th May
- 3rd and 17th June (excluding Queens birthday 10/6/17)
- 24th June and 1st July
- 8th and 15th July
- 22nd and 29th July
- 5th and 12th August
- 19th and 26th August
- 2nd and 9th September
- 16th and 23rd September (excluding Long weekend 30/9/17)
- 7th and 14th October
- 21st and 28th October
- 4th and 11th November
- 18th and 25th November
- 2nd and 9th December
- 16th and 23rd December