Childbirth and Parenting Programs
Preparation for childbirth classes
Wollongong Private Hospital has committed to planning and providing a comprehensive childbirth and parenting program to prepare parents for the birth of their child. Our educators are all experienced registered midwives.
Our antenatal class program together with the Pregnancy and Birth Information booklet will inform you of the changes happening throughout pregnancy and the birth of your baby. We believe women should be educated about all available options during pregnancy, childbirth and early parenting (including the risks), so that you and your partner can make informed decisions on your journey to become a parent.
- How labour begins and when to go to hospital
- Stages of labour
- Active birth principles
- Pain relief options
- Unexpected outcomes
- Caesarean births
- The role of the support person
- Postnatal care, breastfeeding and support
- Tour of the birthing suite and post natal ward
When and where are classes held?
- Weekly classes
Monday and Tuesday evenings from 6:30pm – 8:30pm (4 consecutive weeks)
Supper and refreshments provided
- Weekend classes
Saturday from 9am - 2pm (2 consecutive weeks)
Lunch and refreshments provided
The classes are held in our Maternity Education Room on Level 2 of the Hospital.
How to book?
We recommend your classes are completed by the time you are 36 weeks pregnant and we encourage you to book in as soon as you have completed your admission paperwork, as classes fill up quickly and are limited to 8 couples per session. Classes can be booked by calling (02) 42861077 between 8:30- 5pm.
What is the cost?
The cost for the preparation for childbirth classes is $200.
Some health funds cover the total cost, others provide some or no rebate. You will be issued with a certificate of attendance by the Midwife on completion of the class to present to your health fund.
Please choose carefully as we are unable to offer make-up classes. Once payment has been made, refunds will only be given for medical reasons.
2019 Class Timetable
- 26th Aug, 2nd, 9th and 16th September
- 23rd, 30th Sept, 14th and 21st October
- 28th Oct, 4th, 11th and 18th November
- 25th Nov, 2nd, 9th and 16th December
- 20th and 27th August, 3rd and 10th September
- 17th, 24th September, 1st and 8th October
- 15th, 22nd , 29th October and 5th November
- 12th, 19th, 26th November and 3rd December
- 24th and 31th August
- 7th and 14th September
- 21st and 28th September
- 19th and 26th October (Excluding October Long Weekend 7th October)
- 2nd and 9th November
- 16th and 23rd November
- 30th November and 7th December
- 14th and 21st December