Childbirth and Parenting Programs
Preparation for childbirth classes
Wollongong Private Hospital has committed to planning and providing a comprehensive childbirth and parenting program to prepare parents for the birth of their child. Our educators are all experienced registered midwives.
Our antenatal class program together with the Pregnancy and Birth Information booklet will inform you of the changes happening throughout pregnancy and the birth of your baby. We believe women should be educated about all available options during pregnancy, childbirth and early parenting (including the risks), so that you and your partner can make informed decisions on your journey to become a parent.
- How labour begins and when to go to hospital
- Stages of labour
- Active birth principles
- Pain relief options
- Unexpected outcomes
- Caesarean births
- The role of the support person
- Postnatal care, breastfeeding and support
- Tour of the birthing suite and post natal ward
When and where are classes held?
- Weekly classes
Monday and Tuesday evenings from 6:30pm – 8:30pm (4 consecutive weeks)
Supper and refreshments provided
- Weekend classes
Saturday from 9am - 2pm (2 consecutive weeks)
Lunch and refreshments provided
The classes are held in our Maternity Education Room on Level 2 of the Hospital.
How to book?
We recommend your classes are completed by the time you are 36 weeks pregnant and we encourage you to book in as soon as you have completed your admission paperwork, as classes fill up quickly and are limited to 8 couples per session. Classes can be booked by calling (02) 42861077 between 8:30- 5pm.
What is the cost?
The cost for the preparation for childbirth classes is $200.
Some health funds cover the total cost, others provide some or no rebate. You will be issued with a certificate of attendance by the Midwife on completion of the class to present to your health fund.
Please choose carefully as we are unable to offer make-up classes. Once payment has been made, refunds will only be given for medical reasons.
2018 Class Timetable
- 3rd, 10th, 17th and 24th September
- 8th, 15th, 22nd and 29th October
- 5th, 12th, 19th and 26th November
- 3rd, 10th and 17th December (only 3 weeks and times will be 6pm to 9pm)
- 18th, 25th September 2018, 2nd and 9th October
- 16th, 23rd, 30th October and 6th November
- 13th, 20th, 27th November and 4th December
- 15th and 22nd September (October Long Weekend 29th September)
- 6th and 13th October
- 20th and 27th October
- 3rd and 10th November
- 17th and 24th November
- 1st and 8th December
- 15th and 22nd December